What if someone told you finding the right cure for your headache was as simple as figuring out what kind of headache you have? According to Annemarie Colbin of FoodAndHealing.com, this is exactly what you should do. After listening to her lecture through my school, I was ecstatic to know my regular tension headaches would dissipate after drinking a glass of lemon water with honey! According to Annemarie, there are 5 kinds of headaches, with 5 specific cures. If you are unsure of what kind of headache you have, try one of these cures and wait to see the results. If you don't notice any change, you can always try another.
1. Expansive Headache An expansive headache is from eating too many sugary foods. To cure this kind of headache you want to eat something from the Contractive side of the spectrum in the diagram below (salty foods.)
2. Contractive Headache A contractive headache is also described as a tension headache. It can arise from tightness in the jaw, eating too much meat, or not eating enough food in general. It can be cured by eating healthy sweet foods that are more "expansive." Some common contractive headache cures are applesauce, juice, lemon water with honey, or italian ice.
You want to eat mostly balanced foods on this spectrum. You will notice if you eat too many foods on the expansive or contractive end, your body naturally gravitates to eat foods on the opposite end to find balance. For example, people that eat a lot of meat, generally also drink coffee and are addicted to sugar and/or alcohol. Lessening meat intake lowers the cravings for these expansive foods.
3. Liver Headache A liver headache is also known as a migraine. Migraines occur when you eat too much fat on an empty stomach (such as a bag of potato chips). This puts strain on the liver and causes a migraine. The liver is connected to the health of our eyes - so that's why you may see spots or have poor vision during a migraine. Luckily there is a natural cure: - Squeeze 1/2 an organic lemon into a glass then simmer the peel for 10 minutes in 2 cups of pure water. - Let the boiled lemon peel water cool then add it to the juice and drink.
4. Caffeine Headache This kind of headache arises when you stop drinking caffeine. The cure for this one is to drink a little caffeine. In order to stop drinking coffee or black tea, gradually drink a smaller amount at the same time each day to avoid a caffeine headache.
5. Structural Headache A structural headache is the kind of pain that arises from a misalignment in the body. The cure for a structural headache is yoga and/or chiropractic adjustments.