I've been re-reading Brene Brown's Daring Greatly this month as part of my Women's Yoga Sangha required reading for the group. As I've practiced yoga this week, I have reminded myself that my yoga mat is the place where I began to let go of all of the below. It was the place I could let go of what other people think, the need for comparison and certainty, and especially letting go of anxiety of a lifestyle.
It is our choice to live with that which does not serve us. This year, why not let go of it and focus on what is truly nourishing to you?
Here is Brene's list from the first few pages in Daring Greatly.
1. Cultivating Authenticity: Letting Go of What People Think
2. Cultivating Self-Compassion: Letting Go of Perfectionism
3. Cultivating a Resilient Spirit: Letting Go of Numbing and Powerlessness
4. Cultivating Gratitude and Joy: Letting Go of Scarcity and Fear of the Dark
5. Cultivating Intuition and Trusting Faith: Letting Go of the Need for Certainty
6. Cultivating Creativity: Letting Go of Comparison
7. Cultivating Play and Rest: Letting Go of Exhaustion as a Status Symbol and Productivity as Self-Worth
8. Cultivating Calm and Stillness: Letting Go of Anxiety as a Lifestyle
9. Cultivating Meaningful Work: Letting Go of Self-Doubt and "Supposed To"
10. Cultivating Laughter, Song and Dance: Letting Go of Being Cool and "Always in Control"