I was lucky to host this beautiful being, Luna Love, for a few weeks in my home this summer and was honored to have the opportunity to do an in-person interview with her as a return guest on the podcast. (Listen to Luna's original episode here)
This happened to be right after Luna finished a death midwifery training, and I was astounded to hear all the information she had been learning about death and the funeral industry.
After having my grandmother pass away last year, I have been thinking a lot about how our culture does not really prepare us for this powerful rite of passage moment.
This episode is FULL with information I believe we ALL need to know - both to prepare our loved ones, but also to prepare ourselves for a moment that we are all going to inevitably face one day.
In this episode we discussed:
- Luna's story of losing her mother at 13, and her inspiration to become a midwife for those passing away
- Grief and how in our culture we often overlook opportunities to honor our grief in rite of passage moments
- What you probably don't know about the funeral industry
- How we can bring more awareness about our own death and use it as empowerment on how we want to live
- Luna's end of life wishes
- What documents we can put together to be prepared for our own death and passing
- How we can prepare emotionally, be there for others passing and prepare for ourselves
Links in this episode:
- The Art of Death Midwifery, through Sacred Crossings, led by Director Olivia Bareham another one is starting in early September
Stay in Touch with Luna:
Checklist of Documents to Include in Your "Death File":
- Advance Health Care Directive - signed and notarized
- POLST - 'Physicians Orders for Life Sustaining Treatment' (this DNR may be signed by your physician upon life-limiting diagnosis
- Advance Death Care Directive - 'Wishes for Funeral & Disposition
- Will / Trust & Certificate of Trust
- Durable Power of Attorney for Finance
- Life Insurance Policy
- Bank Account Information
- Real Estate Documents & Deeds
- Funeral Pre-needs Documents & Funeral Insurance (if any)
- Debtor Information
- Copy of Drivers License and Social Security Card
- Copy of Marriage / Divorce Certificate
- Vital Statistics required for Death Certificate
- Life Review or Ethical Will - your personal beliefs and thoughts about life
- Letters to Loved Ones
When you have gathered these documents, create a 'Death File', and place in a safe, easy, accessible place. Tell two close family members or friends where to find it when the time comes.
Luna is a Woman of Devotion, a Transformational Leadership Mentor and host of the Ladies Who Lead Podcast. She supports today's changemakers in living a full-spectrum life and giving their greatest contribution through the cultivation of clear vision, embodied knowing, aligned action, and radical intimacy with all of Life, including themselves. Luna is devoted to social justice advocacy through council work and the dissolution of separation internally and externally. Most of all she is here to be a vessel for Grace.